Wednesday, December 9, 2009

How I became an atheist

Many of my views on religion are easily accessible on youtube.com where I have posted a series of videos on various topics relating to religion, particularly to Christianity. When you go to youtube just type chatpilot in the search window to view my commentary videos. I have been an atheist for about 15 years now, but I was not always this way. I at one time used to be an evangelist for the Spanish Pentecostal movement. My ministry ran for about 4 years until I began to have doubts about my cause and what I had been doing.

One requirement for you to be a good christian is to never question god nor his motives. You must exercise blind obedience to the scriptures and any doubts are quickly considered to be the influence of Satan upon your mind and life. Any thirst for knowledge outside of what is taught by the church is considered either subversive or heretical. Delving too deeply into the "mysteries" of god can get you into trouble fairly quick. What led me away from god was precisely that thirst for knowledge,that yearning to know more.

Anyone who has tried to read the bible in its entirety could tell you that once you finish, the bible has more questions than answers. The problem lies in that everything you want to know lies beyond objective knowledge and is unattainable at the moment. You can't prove that god exist nor disprove it, but I think that if you were to put the pros and cons on a scale and weigh the two you would come to the conclusion that it is highly unlikely that god exist. Come back tomorrow and I will tell you more about it.

4 comments:

  1. Chatpilot,

    I was a music leader for 8 years in Idaho. I served in two churches; Glad Tidings (5years) and Boise Calvary Chapel (3 years)

    I would get dirty looks from leaders in the church because I would ask too many questions...

    Well....I'm off to read the next entry.

    bb

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the crap?
    That's not true. I'm sorry you went to a church where you could not ask questions. But if you read the bible as you claim you have you cannot come to the conclusion that people who believed in God also believed you couldn't question him. If you read the Psalms and the books of Hosea, people question God all the time and God doesn't kill them for it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Dan's upset with us. Maybe in time he'll question a few things himself (assuming he's not brainwashed like I was). For the record, the pastor in my church who tried to deliver me (wasn't possible as it was sleep apnoea + not satan) and heal my psychosomatic problems, is now a successful plumber! Like me, he still believes in God, but not all the other crap! It took a counsellor to bring me peace and get my lift back on form - not 10 years of prayer from the 'born again christians.' I feel I'm born again now - more on the straight path than I ever was whilst brainwashed. Thanks so much for this site. So helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

    For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. 2 John 1:7

    ReplyDelete